Master of Bioethics Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- All majors and backgrounds are welcome
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and analysis
- Work, research, clinical, and other relevant experience is valued in the application review
Completed Online Applicaton Form
All applicants must create a user account via Harvard Medical School's application portal at admissions.gradeducation.hms.harvard.edu.
Statement of Purpose
Your personal statement is an opportunity to share with the admissions committee why you are interested in obtaining a master of bioethics degree. This statement can detail academic, professional, or personal experiences. The only requirement is that the statement be limited to 500-750 words in length.
Some topics to consider, though not required:
- What drew you to bioethics?
- What experiences have you had that prepared you to enter a graduate degree program?
- What would you like to do once you obtain an MBE?
- Why do you want to get your MBE degree from Harvard Medical School?
Resume or CV
Resume or CV
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants will need to enter the names and email addresses of three references into the application portal.
Recommenders will be contacted directly with instructions on how to submit their recommendation letters.
There is a $100 application fee payable by credit card.
GRE — Optional
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or equivalent (MCAT or LSAT) scores are not required.
Those who opt to submit GRE scores can send to Institution Code 0550.
Harvard Medical School is an international center of learning. We value and welcome the diversity and breadth of experience international students bring to the Master of Bioethics program. Our faculty collaborate with colleagues around the world, drawing students into their work and facilitating future connections. Alumni with Harvard MBE work in the United States and more than a dozen other countries around the globe.
English Language Proficiency for International Applicants
Students whose native language is not English must also include results of the Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Duolingo English Test.
- A minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL and/or a 7 on the IELTS is required. A 125 on the Duoling English Test is the minimum score required.
- The TOEFL Code for Harvard Medical School Graduate Education Master’s Programs is 3151.
- TOEFL scores are valid for two (2) years from the date of examination. Applicants who tested more than three years ago must repeat the test.
- Applicants should submit scores from the Internet based test (IBT) of the TOEFL.
The only exemption from this requirement is anyone who earned a bachelor's or graduate degree from an institution at which English was the sole language of instruction.
International students must fulfill visa requirements.