Postdoctoral Research Scholars Program
The Center for Bioethics at Harvard Medical School invites applications for the Postdoctoral Research Scholars Program in Bioethics, for appointments commencing in summer/fall 2016. This two-year program aims to prepare scholars with the knowledge and skills necessary to become leaders in the field of bioethics. Research Scholars will be fully integrated into the community of scholars at the Center for Bioethics, with access to the resources of the entire Medical School and the University at large.
Scholars will receive an annual stipend, benefits, and an allotment for academic expenses and travel.
The core experience will include:
- Mentored research. Postdoctoral Research Scholars will work closely with faculty mentors from across the University to develop and conduct original research in the field of bioethics. A primary aim of the Postdoctoral Research Scholarship is to prepare candidates with the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain competitive research funding and to develop a successful academic career in bioethics.
- Educational opportunities. Since Postdoctoral Research Scholars will arrive with a diverse background of experience and knowledge, each candidate will work with the faculty to develop a customized educational program to ensure that they develop expertise across the field of bioethics as a whole, as well as in-depth knowledge related to their special areas of interest. As such, the Postdoctoral Research Scholars will have opportunities to access the Center’s courses and seminars, as well as the potential to audit relevant courses across the University with faculty permission.
- Community Life. Postdoctoral Research Scholars will be fully engaged with the activities of the Center and the Harvard-affiliated teaching hospitals. They will take responsibility for organizing and conducting conferences and seminars, and will be asked to assist in teaching courses in their areas of interest. They will have opportunities to participate on hospital Clinical Ethics Committees and Institutional Review Boards. In short, the Postdoctoral Research Scholarship seeks to provide the candidates with the greatest possible access to all that Harvard University has to offer.
Applications are invited from scholars who have or will have completed a doctoral degree (MDs, JDs, PhDs or equivalent) by June 1, 2016. Doctorates may be in any relevant field, including but not limited to public health, psychology, economics, philosophy, sociology anthropology, or anthropology. The deadline for summer or fall 2016 is May 2nd. Applications are considered throughout the year under special circumstances.
A completed application includes each of the following:
- This application completed and submitted.
- A curriculum vitae
- A personal statement (maximum 1000 words) that describes the applicant’s interest in the Research Scholars Program and what the applicant hopes to achieve from the program.
- A published or unpublished writing sample for which the candidate is the sole or lead author.
- In addition, applicants should arrange for 3 letters of reference to be submitted directly to Prof. Robert Truog by individuals who know the applicant well and who can comment on the candidate’s qualifications and suitability for the Research Scholars Program. Letters should be submitted using the Letter of Reference form found here.
For additional information about the program contact the Center for Bioethics at email@example.com or the main office number at 617-432-2570.